Our mission is to cultivate philanthropists to invest in organizations that empower underserved Asian and Pacific Islanders (API) to prosper by:
• Building healthier communities
• Developing API leaders
• Creating a stronger API voice
Our vision is a thriving API community fostered by a culture of philanthropy:
- We believe strong and successful API communities begin with people supporting one another.
- We value creating collaborative relationships with a range of community-focused individuals and corporate leaders.
- We demonstrate responsibility in resource management and advocate for equitable giving to all communities.
- We appreciate the intricacies of our evolving communities in achieving a stronger society.
APCF was founded in 1990 by API community leaders in response to the need for alternative funding for Los Angeles-based non-profit organizations serving API communities. Prior to its incorporation, less than 0.3% of all local foundation funds went to API agencies, according to a 1988 study by A3PCON (Asian Pacific Policy & Planning Council). In 1986, the United Way of Greater Los Angeles funded only five organizations serving APIs. To raise funds for community organizations serving API communities, APCF initiated employee giving campaigns at various workplaces, including private companies, federal agencies, state agencies, county agencies, city agencies, and non-profit agencies.
In the past decade, APCF has diversified its fundraising efforts by developing other avenues for giving. With the growth of donor advised funds, giving circles, grant-making, and scholarship funds, APCF has been able to cultivate philanthropy among APIs while providing multiple vehicles for donors to support the community.